Friday, December 14, 2012

Noblesville high stairwell

I completed a one day project on Thursday that included putting two coats of eg-shell on a high stairwell.  There were a couple hours of prep that included sanding, spackling, caulking, and cleaning. I started the first coat around 11 and finished around 1.  I waited until 3 before starting the second coat in order to let the first coat dry.  I used Lowes Valspar Signature Interior Latex. The color was "Natural."

Challenge:
The biggest challenge was working over the stairwell with high walls. I had to bring in my levelers to set my 12' aluminum ladder on and also my 8' step ladder. Even though it is safe with the levelers, I always still fill just a little uncomfortable that high up over stairs.

Steps:
  1. Sanded all the walls;
  2. Washed all the walls;
  3. Spackled all the holes and other dings;
  4. Lightly sanded all the areas I spackled with 220 grade sandpaper;
  5. Taped out all the trim along the stairs in order to keep paint off the trim; 
  6. Caulked the small crack along the stairwell baseboard; 
  7. Laid down tarps;
  8. Cut-in along the top of the stairwell with brush and mini-roller;
  9. Applied first coat of paint with long extension pole and roller standing on stairs. Let dry for 4 hours;
  10. Applied second coat of paint;
  11. Pulled all the tape; 
  12. Picked up tarps and all the other tools used to complete this project;
  13. Vacuumed;
  14. Left remaining paint with customer.
Photos:






No comments: